Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I FIGured it out



Another thing I inherited when I moved into this house, is a FIG tree. It is the most beautiful tree in the yard. The bright green distinctly shaped leaves, just scream "take a picture of me!"




I remember my Dad always walking out to this fig tree, grabbing a plump purple piece of fruit and taking a bite out of it...skin and all. To be honest, I never quite got the appeal of it. To me, it was sweet, but had such a strange texture. Now... I have a FIG a plenty.... I need to pick these bad boys and do something with them before the dang crows get to them! So here, I am...taking any suggestion I can to make something with figs. My husband never tasted a fig before moving here.... his first response to the taste, "well, it doesn't taste much like a Fig Newton." Good answer honey! But No...they are better than a Fig Newton, especially prepared like this....


Fig & Goat Cheese with Balsamic Appetizer

made up by me (I FIGured it out!!)


A few fresh figs, rinsed & sliced

A few ounces of fresh goat cheese

1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette

1 tsp. sugar

your favorite crackers, or crostini bread (next time I will do the bread, but I didn't have any today!!)


Simmer balsamic & sugar in a saucepan, stirring constantly, making sure not to burn! Allow to reduce and thicken.

Place goat cheese & figs on a platter, sprinkle with balsamic vinaigrette



ENJOY!

3 comments: